On Monday 06 April 2015 04:30:35 I wrote:

> After a bit more thought I remember that GCC was upgraded last week, and
> the change log referred to many bug fixes. (That's what my memory tells
> me, anyway, but I can't see where I found it now.) So I decided to emerge
> -e world, which I did in two passes: first emerge -eB world, then boot to
> a minimal system and emerge -eK world. Then etc-update and reboot,
> compile the kernel again (gentoo-sources-3.18.9) and a final reboot.
>
> Maybe something went wrong in the middle of that, so I've set off the same
> process again. It'll take a few hours, so I'm off to bed again meanwhile
> - it's 04:30 here.

Well, after 18 hours of that emerge -e world, I started the completely
rebuilt system, removed those three packages from package.mask:

$ cat /etc/portage/package.mask
>=sys-boot/grub-2.00
=sys-fs/lvm2-2.02.109
#
#=dev-lang/perl-5.20.2
#~virtual/perl-File-Spec-3.480.100
#~virtual/perl-Storable-2.490.100

...and ran perl-cleaner again. Same result - portage exited silently when
given the list of packages to install.

Next, "eselect python set 1" set the main active version from its previous
3.3 to 2.7, just in case of some problem with 3.3. No difference.

Then I chose one of the silently ignored packages and tried to emerge it
myself, but still portage did nothing:

---------
$ sudo emerge -1av dev-perl/Text-WrapI18N

Calculating dependencies  .... done!

Total: 0 packages, Size of downloads: 0 KiB

Nothing to merge; quitting.
---------

Yet the package is in the database:

$ eix -Ic dev-perl/Text-WrapI18N
[I] dev-perl/Text-WrapI18N (0.60.0-r1{tbz2}@10/02/15): Internationalized
substitute of Text::Wrap

Today's routine sync and update has pulled two packages in: gentoo-
sources-3.18.11 and chromium-41.0.2272.118. Gentoo-sources has just been
installed and I'm compiling the new kernel; chromium will take longer.

This just gets weirder and weirder. When does portage do what it's told and
when does it not?   ;)

--
Rgds
Peter.