James <wirel...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> use to match the <arg> string against all three:
> (1) gentoo tree /usr/portage
> (2) the /var/lib/layman/ overlays I had installed and manage with layman
> (3) my /usr/local/portage local ebuild placed in /usr/local/portage/
>
> Now, only option (1) shows the embuilds

Very likely you have chosen inappropriate cache methods
for the ebuilds with eix, or the corresponding data is not readable
by user/group portage/portage (250:250):

The recommended way of using the metadata cache method works only
if your overlay provides that metadata or if you call egencache to
generate it. However, there are also other possibilities as sketched
in the section SPEEDUP in the eix manpage.

If you need further help post the output of eix-update.

In any case: Check whether user/group portage/portage has the
permissions to read overlays and metadata.