On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 05:19:46 -0700
walt <w41...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Today's update started as a disaster:  perl wants to upgrade from
> 5.20.2 to 5.22.0, but all of my existing perl modules insist on having
> 5.20.2 so the perl update blocks and then emerge stopped with an error

The problem was caused by a single perl module:

perl-core/Data-Dumper-2.154.0 (the only version available) clashed with
perl's new requirement for virtual/perl-Data-Dumper-2.158.0 (note the
different version numbers).

Using my advanced WTF-do-I-have-to-lose training I eventually deleted
perl-core/Data-Dumper and then re-emerged virtual/perl-Data-Dumper.

perl-cleaner is now happily doing its shtick :)