On Sep 23, 2005, at 3:31 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 22:38:07 -0400, Sean Lester wrote:

That's it.  I didn't think the ISP would block outgoing port 25.

Unfortunately, quite a lot seem to do it. it's a lazy and lame "solution" to spam trojans. Other ISPs forward all port 25 connections to their own
SMTP server, so your mail may not be delivered directly, but it is
delivered.

Even if port 25 isn't blocked or redirected, it is often worth using your
ISP's relay even if you have a broadband connection. Some ISP's block
incoming mail from IP ranges allocated to broadband users as an anti-spam
measure.

one unfortunately corollary to this is my isp doesn't block outgoing port 25, but DOES limit the number of emails you send via their relay. I send a newsletter for my kids' school's pta and I could not do that if I couldn't send at least a chunk of them directly.