On 08/04/2015 11:30 AM, Felix Miata wrote:
> Grant Edwards composed on 2015-08-04 17:20 (UTC):
>
>> and faster.  A fresh install will take a couple hours. An upgrade will
>> take somewhere between a couple days and a couple weeks.
>
> Seriously, more than a day?

Oh sure, it's possible.

In late 2013 I upgraded some old installs installed in 2007/2008. They
were left stagnant for a long time due to some really finicky software
(tried an upgrade and it broke so many things on that software it wasn't
funny.)

However, this process took almost a week to iron the bugs out.

Portage had a bit of a fit and refused to do anything. There were so
many changes with core things (like udev, python, perl, and numerous
others) that it just crapped out.

I found that I had to do it in little pieces at a time and portage got
in my way constantly. I wish there was a setting to just forcibly
compile a package and then manually deal with breakage afterward with
something like revdep-rebuild, rather than trying to solve problems it
can't deal with beforehand. It would have been a lot easier.

So after upgrading some core items which took several hours of figuring
out what to remove, what to upgrade, and what to switch to (in some
cases) then I could install a new kernel and boot, after that I still
had portage getting in the way and wound up installing packages manually
instead of emerging world.

I would've just started fresh if the software package I was using
actually had an installer that worked. I had to do a lot of tricks to
get it installed initially and didn't want to repeat that process.

Dan