On 2015-08-04, James <wirel...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> Felix Miata <mrmazda <at> earthlink.net> writes:
>

>> 1-I just find upgrade processes more enjoyable than inital installations and
>> their follow-up tedium getting from defaults back to the way I like things
>> to  work.
>

>> Now that I've seen several thread responses subsequent to this one, I'm
>> leaning towared just doing a fresh installation, but I'm curious about what
>> would happen by trying, and how long it really would take.
>
> Interesting choice:: how do you like your choices, Felix?
>
> To the wider list of gentoo hacks::
>
> Still think we do not need an easier installation semantic? If he decides to
> 'upgrade' there will be tons of man-hours spent on this effort. If we had a
> mostly unattended basic installation semantic (proceedure/install) I bet he
> (Felix) would choose that pathway.

I've tried that pathway.  Many times.  The "mostly unattended"
installers all install things I don't want, pick options I don't like,
and end up configured to do things the way the authors of the
installer wanted to do things rather than the way I want to do things.

> If we (gentoo) had a simple installation semantic, this sort of
> problem would most likely disappear; so the wider community could
> delve into other technical support issues...... YMMV.

There are tons of options for "a simple installation semantic" if
that's what people want.  I don't see any benefit in turning Gentoo
into yet another "me too" one-click installation trying to compete
with RedHat and Ubuntu.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Let's all show human
                                  at               CONCERN for REVERAND MOON's