Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Sure, but the portage team can really only dictate the upstream
> defaults of portage, not tree policy.

As I understand, they intend to remove non-dynamic deps
(if they agreed to not implement it properly for sub-slots,
this makes sense).

So we are not speaking about defaults but a fixed behaviour of
portage. Paludis had this fixed behaviour since ever.
Thus, esssentially, there is no other choice than to adopt the
necessary tree policy to the only existing implementations -
not council decision is needed for it unless there are package
managers which do it differently.

Note that there can really be no exceptions. Even apparently
trivial changes in DEPS like adding an alternative implementation
*necessarily* require a revbump (because otherwise users who
installed the previous ebuild could possibly never get rid
of the original implementation).
We will see a flood of "unnecessary" revbumps, but people
knew this since the previous discussions.