On Mon, Nov 02, 2015 at 05:01:26PM -0800, Daniel Frey wrote:
> On 11/02/2015 04:46 PM, Philip Webb wrote:
> > 151101 Daniel Frey wrote:
> >> I had so many problems with hplip I stopped using it.  I found another way
> >> to use my hp CP1025nw with foomatic and that works trouble-free.
> >
> > Don't be coy ! -- What did you actually do which works (smile) ?
> >

> It's a driver for Laserjet printers, it won't work on deskjets AFAIK.
> The driver is foo2zjs: http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/  - it relies on
> ghostscript.

I used to use foo2zjs happily many a year ago. But then it vanished from
portage and I never got it working again.

> I looked and it looks like that won't help you. I had so many problems
> with hplip randomly stopping working and refusing to reinstall I gave up
> on printing for six months before I found foo2zjs.

What I found out is that the plugin hplip downloads for my laserjet 1000
is a self-extracting archive running on python2, but it does not state a
python version. So if your system python is set to v3, the plugin intall
will fail with only an “I failed” message. Once I switched to python 2, it
ran through. *shrug*

A few days ago I couldn’t get my printer to print more than one page in a
go. It just stops after the first page. Luckily, I have a virtual Ubuntu
which I originally set up just out of curiosity, but now acts as my printing
client, because it just works™.

If I find the time, I will go through the tips of this thread myself.

PS.: The printer is from 2004, and only now the toner, which is the one I
bought with the printer – is getting weaker.
--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.

Why do Java developers wear glasses? – Because they don’t C#.