> I've got 16 3TB WD Reds running 24/7 for a little over 3 years.
> Only had 1 failure (Smart complaining) in that time.

> I find that decent odds.

> Joost

I bought a WD Green 3 TB hard drive in May 2011, warranty was then 3 years.  It
went bad with errors after 34 months.

I was able to get a warranty replacement after much hassle, with the warranty
on such drives down to 2 years.

That replacement hard drive went bad in about seven months, strange sounds
reminiscent of a dialup modem, drive was no longer recognized by the computer.

At nearly the same time as the WD Green failure, a 3 TB My Book Essential 3 TB
USB 3.0 hard drive, ordered at the same time as the WD Green drive, went
somewhat bad with errors, but the warranty on that was 2 years.

Needing a hard drive for another computer (May 2013), and not trusting WD or
"Green", I ordered a Seagate NAS 4 TB hard drive, figuring increased
reliability compared to Barracuda or Desktop was worth the modest additional
cost.

That drive is still good as far as I can tell.

Now I am considering an external hard drive with eSATA, more suitable for OS
installation (Linux, NetBSD, FreeBSD, Haiku?) than USB 3.0.  Only brand I find
is Micronet Fantom (GForce), or use Seagate NAS hard drive in an enclosure with
eSATA.

I really can't see why USB 3.0 is so more widely available than eSATA when
eSATA seems superior as far as I can tell.

Tom