On 21/12/2015 19:21, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Monday 21 December 2015 14:06:25 James wrote:
>
>> Hmmmm. I would think most folks running openrc are also not using udev
>> but are using eudev [1]? From what I read/understand openrc is in the
>> process of removal from @system, for all profiles?
>
> I don't know about that, but I'm certainly using udev with openrc.
>
> While I'm here, is there any practical difference between world and @world,
> or between system and @system?

There are no differences in practice, it's a semantic thing.

Portage used "emerge world" from the very beginning (lifted from FreeBSD
ports) and it's still supported today even though technically and
semantically "emerge @world" is more correct - world is at heart a set.

It's mentioned in one of portage's man pages, IIRC in emerge (1) but
right now I don't have the inclination to look. That is left as an
exercise for the interested reader.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com