Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tuesday 29 Dec 2015 14:18:20 J. Roeleveld wrote:
>
>> sqlite is nice, for single threaded applications.
>> For anything more advanced, either a wrapper is required or something more
>> advanced needs to be used.
>
> I like sqlite because it is self-contained, embedded in the application that
> uses it and accesses the data directly with functional calls, rather than
> looping around port/socket interfaces to speak to a server.  This is why I
> kept it, since with Kmail1 it is not used much.
>
> With Kmail2 the database will be hammered so as you say will need something
> that can process things in parallel at speed and in higher volumes. So, I'm
> planning to install postgresql for this purpose, since in my experience mysql
> has had a number of hickups with akonadi.

Are we at the point where users are accepting to have to install and
maintain a fully fledged RDBMS just for a single application which
doesn't even need a database in the first place?

Quite a few times I've been thinking it would be nice to have a database
to implement a particular feature for an application, and I've always
decided not to do it because it seems to be a totally unreasonable
requirement, and because it seems rather unlikely that any user would be
willing to do it.  It would make some sense if an RDBMS were a
requirement already, used by all kinds of software --- though I'm
finding it very questionable if we should go there (and find ourselves
with a single point of failure and bottleneck).

A MUA must be doing something very wrong to have such a requirement.
And what kind of performance can you expect with a laptop that has only
4GB and is already overloaded with KDE?