On Friday, January 01, 2016 03:58:18 PM Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Friday 01 January 2016 14:25:17 Mick wrote:
> > On Friday 01 Jan 2016 13:06:55 Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > > Thanks for your thoughts Mick. I think most of my problems have
> > > persisted
> > > through many iterations from the early days of KMail-2. At any rate,
> > > I've
> > > just deleted the whole KMail structure once more and reimported from
> > > archive  and so far I've no duplicates. I used to get duplicates in
> > > certain folders even from the import process.
> >
> > Perhaps the latest version of KDE fixed this problem of duplicate
> > messages.  I noticed that on Kmail2 there is a menu option:
> >
> > /Folder/Remove Duplicate Messages Ctrl+*
> >
> > I haven't used it, but you may want to give this a spin if the problem
> > returns.
>
> I've tried it many times, with no discernible effect at all - not even on
> CPU use.

I have and it does work.
Especially handy when merging dealing with mailboxes created by importing PST-
files. (For the uninitiated, these are files created by Outlook to store
archived emails locally)

Often, emails are duplicated over multiple of these. Simplest solution:
1) Move them all into a single folder
2) Tell Kmail to remove duplicates

I've managed to quickly clean up large amounts of duplicates without loosing a
single real email.
(Emails from my wife, if one would have been missing, I'd have heard it by
now....)

--
Joost