Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Saturday 02 January 2016 15:06:37 Alan McKinnon wrote:
>
>> "half as big again" means "50% larger than".
> That is, take the original measure, add one-half of it again and you have
> 1.5 x the original.
>
>> i.e. calculate 50% and add it, making the total 150%.
>> It's an English idiom, so don;t try to figure it out from each word,
>> just recognize the whole phrase. English is full of that shit.
> That's too rude. Rather, I'd say it's rich with all manner of idioms, all of
> which are expressive and help to make the point clear. Tough on people new
> to the language, but that's life. Numerous invasions and occupations by
> foreign peoples have contributed to what we see today.
>
> In contrast, Americans are set on destroying all this richness, I suppose in
> the interest of "simplicity", which introduces either ambiguity or ugliness
> instead. They've already practically scrapped four whole verb tenses, and
> now adverbs are going the same way.
>
> Pigs and whistles, indeed.

As a American and a person who only speaks English, I'm sometimes
stumped too.  Sometimes I have to read something twice or struggle to
find that word I am needing to use.  I suspect I am not alone in this.

I might add, this is why when I read a email, I try to put the most
positive light on it.  Sometimes even a native English speaker just
doesn't quite get the right thing to come out.  Add in spelling errors
and such or someone speaking English as a second or even third language
and you can really get a mess.  Let's not get into those translation
thingys either.  LOL

I'll be glad when spell checkers add "thingy" to the list.  ;-)

Dale

:-)  :-)