On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 12:48:21 -0500, Tanstaafl wrote:

> > Excellent point about the license.  Did the license stop zfs folks
> > from enjoying zfs?  I know the zfs license stops some commercial folks
> > from deploy/using zfs. And zfs is not a routine choice in the
> > installation docs for gentoo.....
>
> I recall a list conversation about this, explaining that it would be
> trivial for someone who knows how to do ebuilds, to have their own
> ZFS-in-kernel system available, and that it would also be possible to
> accomplish this via an overlay...

When I was playing with ZFS I was able to build it into the kernel (by
unmasking a USE flag) so I could boot from it without an initramfs.

IMO the main problem with ZFS on Linux is that it is based on a fairly
old version. Oracle have not released the sources for the recent
versions, so useful stuff like encryption is missing, and always will be.

--
Neil Bothwick

 ... We are Dyslexics of Borg. Your ass will be laminated.