On 2016-07-11, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> why don't you go with the dns server addresses supplied by each
> network's dhcp? Presumably the admin put them their because they
> work on that network.

One might think that, but I find it often not to be the case.  I can
recall many networks where the DNS servers returned by the DHCP server
didn't work well at all, and things got a _lot_ better when I manually
configured a couple working DNS servers (e.g. the Google ones at
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4).  Around here, Comcast's DNS servers are famously
bad.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Hey, waiter!  I want
                                  at               a NEW SHIRT and a PONY TAIL