On 11/07/2016 22:29, Grant Edwards wrote:
On 2016-07-11, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:

why don't you go with the dns server addresses supplied by each
network's dhcp? Presumably the admin put them their because they
work on that network.

One might think that, but I find it often not to be the case.  I can
recall many networks where the DNS servers returned by the DHCP server
didn't work well at all, and things got a _lot_ better when I manually
configured a couple working DNS servers (e.g. the Google ones at
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4).  Around here, Comcast's DNS servers are famously
bad.

Then shoot the idiot running that wireless network. If he's one of my juniors, tell me so I can fire him (as he's just proved he can't do the job he's paid to do)