On 2016-07-11, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/07/2016 22:29, Grant Edwards wrote:
>> On 2016-07-11, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> why don't you go with the dns server addresses supplied by each
>>> network's dhcp? Presumably the admin put them their because they
>>> work on that network.
>>
>> One might think that, but I find it often not to be the case.  I can
>> recall many networks where the DNS servers returned by the DHCP server
>> didn't work well at all, and things got a _lot_ better when I manually
>> configured a couple working DNS servers (e.g. the Google ones at
>> 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4).  Around here, Comcast's DNS servers are famously
>> bad.

> Then shoot the idiot running that wireless network.

You're not actually allowed to do that General Dreedle...

> If he's one of my juniors, tell me so I can fire him (as he's just
> proved he can't do the job he's paid to do)

And if you're at a customer or vendor site?  A friend's or relative's
house?  Using a municiple WiFi system?  Using WiFi on an airplane,
bus, train, whatever?

Sometimes you just need to get along with people and get some work
done.  You always can't demand that things get done your way or
somebody's gonna get fired or taken out back and beaten...

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! ... I think I'd
                                  at               better go back to my DESK