On Sun, 17 Jul 2016 13:53:30 +0200, J. Roeleveld wrote:

> > What is it in particular that differs from Ksnapshot's functionality
> > or behaviour?

I've just tried it again and it's not as bad as it was.

> My workflow when taking screenshots:
> - Take a snapshot (rectangle)
> - "Save as", storing it at a specific location with "<something>_1.jpg"
> as the name
> - Change something in an application or going to next screen
> - Take a new snapshot (ksnapshot defaults to exact same rectangle which
> is 99.9% of the time correct)

That's an option in Spectacle now.

> - "Save as", ksnapshot goes to same location and increases the
> numbering automatically.

My workflow when writing tutorials is similar, except I use PNG files.

> Last time I tried spectacle, I had to navigate the file structure for
> every single screenshot. Set it to save as JPEG. And manually retype
> the entire filename.

It remembers the last save location now. No idea about the format as I
only use PNG, but at worst it means changing the extension to jpg (or
batch convert all the screenshots later with convert).

The name problem is still there. While it will remember the directory,
the name is in the preconfigured format, which has options to use date and
time stamping, but not incremental numbering. Rather than use unsupported
software, I'll probably just use a one line script to rename the files
afterwards, at least with date stamping they will be in the right order.

> This is fine if you occasionally want to save a screenshot and have no
> problem wading through all the screenshots in whatever "default"
> location Spectacle wants to dump them into. But not when taking
> screenshots documenting an installation procedure.

The location problem is gone now, only the naming remains as a retrograde
step for me. Plus whatever it is that I remember just after hitting Send.

--
Neil Bothwick

WinErr 007: System price error - Inadequate money spent on hardware