Den 22. aug. 2016 17:05, skrev Peter Humphrey:
> Hello list,
>
> Following today's marking of gummiboot as to be deleted in a month, I had a
> look at efibootmgr in the wiki pages. It looks as though I'll be able to use
> it instead, but one thing puzzles me: is it possible to create a set of
> configs for several kernels, the way gummiboot does in
> /boot/loader/entries/*.conf? Actually, I'd also like to specify each of two
> kernel versions with three different command lines to start different run
> levels.
>
> My brain isn't working very well today, so would anyone like to offer me
> some advice? Please?  :)

As far as I can tell, you need a separate executable for each
menu-entry. The "menu" would then be the modern descendant of the "bios"
boot-list. Works well for two or three standard boot-configurations.

Booting straight into linux on an EFI system without a boot-loader means
you have no way to provide command-line or initramfs as far as I can
tell, all modules must be compiled in, and default command-line needs to
be set in the kernel config.

EFI executables can also be created for example by dracut, which will
allow kernel, command-line and initramfs in one efi-file. I have never
tried this, I'm using xen.efi (a hypervisor kernel)  with a config file,
which allows loading of separate kernel and initramfs. Config is just a
text file with the same name as the executable, with a .cfg extension.
Linux has no such magic available I believe.

Copying of executables gets unwieldy fast, plus I have found no way to
edit the command-line.

Therefore I keep a grub2 install as well, which has editable
commmand-lines and such, and also  sys-boot/systemrescuecd-x86-grub. I
put GRUB_PLATFORMS="efi-64" in /etc/portage/make.conf. I let
/boot/EFI/Boot/BOOTX64.EFI be a copy of the Grub EFI binary, so that
whenever I update the bios and wipe all efi variables, I can boot into
Grub, given that /boot/EFI is where I mount my EFI boot partition. Works
as advertised. Grub is not able to load xen.efi, so I need to keep
xen.gz around as well for that.