On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 17:04:08 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:

> I remember someone (Dale?) some time ago being dismayed at the large
> number of packages that would be installed by emerge @system.
>
> Now I see what he meant: on this box 401 of the 1103 installed
> packages. I'd like to construct a set that would create a reliable
> basis for building the rest of @system and @world.
>
> I have a small rescue system on the same disk, also ~amd64, which
> doesn't have X or any desktop programs but otherwise is configured for
> the same setup. Would it be sensible to use the 44 packages in that
> @system as a new set @sysbase on the main system, or would I miss
> something important?

Surely the addition of X, and maybe kde or gnome, to your USE flags is
what is causing so many packages to be pulled in by @system.

I found something similar when building a new system recently, @system
pulled in X and a shedload of dependencies. Switching to a non-desktop
profile meant far fewer packages were needed to get a basic system.

--
Neil Bothwick

Walk softly and carry a fully charged phazer.