On Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 6:59 AM, Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Sep 2016 13:54:40 -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
>
>> > Bind mounts? I thought you would use btrfs subvolumes!
>> >

>> Often the bind mounts point to btrfs subvolumes.
>>
>> Yeah, I guess I could directly mount all those subvolumes, but I find
>> symlinks or bind mounts easier.  The other factor is that if I have
>> unnecessary subvolumes then I'm having to manage snapshots across more
>> of them and my snapshots are less atomic, since snapshots don't cross
>> subvolume boundaries (which is something which ought to be
>> configurable).
>
> I use a script to handle my snapshots, so snapshotting multiple
> subvolumes is less of an issue, but an option to snapshot a subvolume and
> all its children, or even the whole filesystem, would be nice.

Note that what I want is a snapshot that crosses subvolume boundaries,
so that it is atomic.  Not a program that just iterates creating
individual snapshots that don't all happen at the exact same time.

I'd have to look a little more closely at how the filesystem roots
work to see if that is actually possible.  I don't know if the root
node actually covers all the subvolumes it contains, and how exactly
subvolumes are bound to their containing directories.

I guess if the structure of the tree doesn't allow a single snapshot
at the data structure level another option would be for the filesystem
to create a write barrier / lock of some kind while the snapshots are
being created, so they end up being consistent anyway.  This approach
could work even across different filesystems.

--
Rich