On 2016-09-25, Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Sep 2016 00:13:48 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
>
>> I may try MATE next, but I'm not optimistic.  All references I can
>> find to multiple screens in the MATE docs are not actually talking
>> about multiple X11 screens.  They're talking about a single X11 screen
>> spread across multiple monitors using twinview or xinerama or xrandr.
>
> I'm curious. What is it you are doing that needs desktops on separate X11
> screens?

I do software development that often involves fairly complex test
setups where I sometimes need 1 screen for source code, 1 screen for
documentation, 1 screen for various simulators or test programs, 1
screen for a web browser connected to the DUT, and another screen for
general web-browsing and email handling.

And I find it very useful to be able to leave 2 of the screens as-is
while I switch the third one to do something else.

> The results of your searches and experiments seem to suggest that it
> is n unusual configuration

It is, though I don't know why -- I find it far more useful than have
one giant desktop.

> and I'm wondering what particular itch this scratches.

It allows me to work efficiently on complex tasks while concurrently
responding to emails and handling interruptions.

--
Grant