>> > Does this look OK?  It looks to me like heavy swapping in and out with
>> > plenty of free memory (minus buffers/cache).
>>
>> Or put another way, how do I know when swapping is a problem?  I'm
>> running munin so I can look over graphs of my system's characteristics
>> but I'm not sure what to look for to determine if I'm swapping
>> excessively.
>
> "Swapping excessively" is inherently a use-case-specific problem, but it comes
> down to two questions:
>
> * Do you notice your system spending time in iowait swapping data in while
> you're waiting on it?
> * Do you notice your system spending time in iowait swapping data out while
> you're waiting on it? (I.e. as it tries to make room for new memory
> allocations)

I can't find a good graph for iowait in munin.  Is watching wa in top
my best bet?

If I do find a correlation between iowait and web server response
times, should I just decrease memory usage until the problem goes
away?

What I do notice is that my web server's response time increases along
with the swapping peaks in the graph I posted before.

- Grant