Am Sun, 9 Oct 2016 06:25:20 -0700
schrieb Grant <emailgr...@gmail.com>:

> > Looking at the times, it looks a lot like you are having higher
> > iowait only at around 2:00 and 4:20 which are pretty standard cron
> > job times. These probably run niced or ioniced. It's normal that
> > you are seeing higher iowait for such processes.
> >
> > You may want to try setting your io scheduler to deadline (or even
> > noop if you are using a RAID controller with bbu and write cache).
> > Since you seem to prefer response times over throughput you should
> > be using deadline io scheduler anyways. Actually, don't use the
> > default CFQ if your server is virtualized. At least in my tests,
> > CFQ seems to work a lot against what virtualized IO seems to
> > achieve.
>

> I'm using CFQ now, no virtualization.  I should use CFQ if I prefer
> throughput and deadline for response time?

Maybe not as easy as that. But I remember benchmarks found that
deadline or noop may give better web server performance. But that
depends on your application. I'm running a few virtual machines
concurrently on a few less hardware machines. Resources are sometimes a
bit overcommitted, and I see deadline gives much reduced iowait in the
machines in contrast to using cfq.

> > I also suggest using maybe XFS as a filesystem. Which one are you
> > using?
>

> I'm using ext3 but I plan to move to ZFS.

XFS is much better at handling many parallel requests, and is also quite
good working with deadline. I strongly suggest against using ZFS if
swapping is already a problem for you even now.

> > If your server is a web server and it starts swapping, there is not
> > much you can do against it. Tuning swappiness will probably not
> > help at all. Get more RAM or lower your memory usage. If, for
> > example, MySQL runs on the same host, either move it or lower it's
> > memory usage. Reduce the amount of apache application processes
> > running at the same time (PHP, Perl, whatever), use a layered
> > application stack: One frontend for handling static files, one
> > middleware server for handling requests over to PHP and doing the
> > request dispatch queue, and reduce memory/IO footprint of your
> > backend.
>
> Changing swappiness from 60 to 30 has drastically reduced swap usage
> but I'm not sure how much it has done for iowait and response times.
> I'll know more in a few days.  If swap usage stays very low and I'm
> still not happy with the consistency of response times, I would think
> reducing memory usage won't help.

Yes, it may have reduced swap usage - but at what price? Reduced cache?
This can only increase iowait...

--
Regards,
Kai