On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 05:19:35PM -0800, Daniel Campbell wrote

https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2012-August/006066.html

> Well, we intent to continue to make it possible to run udevd outside
> of systemd. But that's about it. We will not polish that, or add
> new features to that or anything.
>
> OTOH we do polish behaviour of udev when used *within* systemd
> however, and that's our primary focus.
>
> And what we will certainly not do is compromise the uniform
> integration into systemd for some cosmetic improvements for
> non-systemd systems.
>
> (Yes, udev on non-systemd systems is in our eyes a dead end, in case
> you haven't noticed it yet. I am looking forward to the day when we
> can drop that support entirely.)
>
> Lennart
>
> --
> Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.

  Right now the "stand-alone udev" actually requires building the entire
systemd+udev combo, and then copying just the udev parts.  I remember
Anthony Basile mentioning that he had refactored the code during the the
udev ==> eudev conversion process, and removed over a hundred uncalled
functions.  They were probably part of udev's integration into systemd.
So one advantage of eudev is that it has less memory footprint and
attack surface.

> eudev is an attempt to retain udev as it was originally -- init
> agnostic. At some point in the future, it will become the only way to
> get udev outside of systemd.

  Agreed.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>