On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 10:40 PM, Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org> wrote:

>   What I'd like to do is a 32-bit CentOS chroot inside my 64-bit Gentoo
> desktop host.  I'm looking at rsync'ing the / directory from inside the
> CentOS VM file system to a directory on the 64-bit host, and then chroot
> into the copy on the host.

I'd strongly consider using a container instead of a chroot.  There
are really no downsides to doing so, and you're far less likely to run
into issues once you understand how they work.  While I'm not
personally a huge fan of docker I'd be shocked if CentOS didn't have
official docker images, which would make getting the base OS set up a
one-liner.

However, for just doing a build a chroot is probably adequate.

Either way you'll get a lot more performance than from a VM,
especially for something like a build.

--
Rich