On Wed, Feb 08, 2017 at 08:27:41PM -0500, Rich Freeman wrote

> As you can see, there is limited ability for even root to accidentally
> mess something up.  If you bind-mount /dev in a regular chroot
> (without a hardening technology on top) and something running as root
> in the chroot tries to write to /dev/sda, then it will have the
> obvious result.  Note that Linux containers are not yet 100% secure so
> this should be viewed as a protection against accidental damage, not
> as equivalent to a VM.  Non-root processes inside a container are
> considered to be pretty secure I believe, and I believe root is
> supposed to be OK if it is running in a container in a separate user
> namespace (so it is non-root on the host).

  If building Pale Moon inside a chroot as a regular user is a security
issue...  then what can I say about doing personal 64-bit Pale Moon
builds directly on my desktop (*NOT* chrooted) as a regular user???  Or
emerging using the Pale Moon overlay???  Or emerging Firefox, from which
Pale Moon is forked?  Unlike my personal build, which I install in
$HOME, emerge uses root-level permissions to install the binaries in
directories which can only be written to by root.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>