"Walter Dnes" <waltd...@waltdnes.org> writes:

[...]

> 1) "eselect profile list" and switch to a basic non-KDE profile of your
> choice.

Moved from:

   default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop *

   default/linux/amd64/13.0 *

> 2) "emerge gentoolkit" if not already present.
>
> 3) "cat /var/lib/portage/world" and see what KDE stuff you have.

No kde  in there

> 4) Unmerge (i.e. "emerge --unmerge) obvious KDE-related stuff that you
> find in world.

got that accomplished and and several more pkgs that were causing blocks

> 5) "emerge --depclean" (May not help if you've done "emerge --sync" and
> not fully updated).

Nothing gets listed there

>    The next 3 steps are going to be repeated several times
>
> 6) "emerge -pv --changed-use --deep --update @world"
>
> 7) You'll probably see portage try to pull KDE back in.  For each lib
> "fu-bar/foobar" that portage tries to pull in do "equery d fu-bar/foobar"
> and manually unmerge whatever it finds.  (Note: gentoolkit provides the
> equery tool).
> 8) GOTO 6 (until portage stops trying to pull in KDE stuff).

I'm still working on this, but wanted to thank you for your input.
I like help that has an outline of how to go at something.

Very helpful.. and I seem to be close to getting this cleaned up.