Stroller <strol...@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> writes:

>> On 25 Feb 2017, at 14:19, Harry Putnam <rea...@newsguy.com> wrote:
>>
>> I've attached a hefty log of some 4000 lines and hope someone will be
>> patient enough to try to identify what is causing the problem.
>
> I took a look at this, but the broken colour codes throughout the
> log make it quite hard to read.

Thanks for taking the time ... It was asking quite a lot.

> Example at the beginning:  [32;01m *
> Example from the end:   *
>
> Output to the terminal these would show the text in different colours,
> but the output was redirected to a textfile or mishandled in a
> copy-paste operation (not sure if screen or tmux does this?).
>
> Running emerge with `--color n` would have made this log much more
> readable. Its size already makes it hard to search.

Yes, and I am sorry about that, its just that I could not discern what
parts were important.  Still I should have posted only the last
400-500 lines.

Just so you know... I did try that. [--color n] The resulting log
looked exactly the same.  I posted that fact in an earlier request for
help a week or so ago in which I remarked how using the no-color
emerge option didn't seem to make a bit of difference. I don't expect
anyone would have noticed the comment... but it does seem a bit off
that I see no differernce here.  That is, no difference in the actual
log emerge creates. I do see the difference in the terminal output.

You mentioned `screen' and I am working in a screen terminal.

What you see is the actual log emerge left behind, when the emerge
failed.  Not something copy/pasted. I'm working on something to remove
all that bunk.  When I get to it, I will post a much reduced version
with no escapes. And only including the last 400 lines or so.

My biggest trouble is that I just don't see anything looking like a
clue that I recognize as such.... in those logs.

I'm not really up on how terminals decode that stuff, But when I do a
`cat' on those logs... into my screen terminal... I see the
highlighted text... no escapes.

Makes it a bit hard to see what my perl script is trying to remove... hehe.