Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> writes:

> Harry Putnam wrote:
>>
>> Just so you know... I did try that. [--color n] The resulting log
>> looked exactly the same.  I posted that fact in an earlier request for
>> help a week or so ago in which I remarked how using the no-color
>> emerge option didn't seem to make a bit of difference. I don't expect
>> anyone would have noticed the comment... but it does seem a bit off
>> that I see no differernce here.  That is, no difference in the actual
>> log emerge creates. I do see the difference in the terminal output.
>>

> I think it may be your PS1 variable that is broken.  That is here for me
> at least:
>
> /etc/bash/bashrc
>
> I think it can be in other places as well.  If you recall changing the
> setting, it should look something like this:
>
> PS1+='\[\033[01;31m\]\u@\h \[\033[01;34m\]\w \$ \[\033[00m\]'
>
> It may be that you are missing the ' on the end or some other character
> is missing.  If you copy mine, it will look like this:
>
> root@fireball / #
>
> Either way, you likely just have something missing or out of place and
> it is throwing it off.  Maybe this will help you fix it, maybe.
>
> Dale

I'm a bit lost here.  What makes you think something is broken?

I mean other than than a failed compile of some pkgs?

I guess you mean the fact that there are escapes in the log I
posted...  as I've said that was the log as emerge created it.  The
`build.log' from /var/tmp [...]

my PS1 looks similar with a few diffeneces from yours but the quoting
is intact: See below from the machine where the log was created:

,----

`----