On March 6, 2017 5:14:39 PM GMT+01:00, Grant Edwards
<grant.b.edwa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 2017-03-06, Kai Krakow <hurikha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> I'm going to try to set up a Wireshark capture in ring-buffer mode
>and
>>> somehow detect the failure and stop the capture...
>>
>> Did something on the Windows side change?
>
>Probaby, but I've learned not to ask questions like that.  They never
>get answered, and it just causes problems when it is revealed that the
>client having problems is a Linux machine.
>
>> Maybe force Windows down to a lower SMB version or reduce/disable
>> SMB client side caching?

Windows sharing is designed as a 'link when used' option. Not as a permanent
mount like Linix treats it.

Even 'mounting' in Windows doesn't mean the share is actually accessed.

A windows CIFS server will not be reliable enough for long term mounting. With
Samba, it does work more reliable. (In my experience)

For this reason, I use KDE/Dolphin to access CIFS shares. It is closer to how
Windows expects the shares to be treated.

--
Joost