Hello, Joost.

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 20:16:37 +0000, J. Roeleveld wrote:
> On April 28, 2017 9:51:07 PM GMT+02:00, Alan Mackenzie <a...@muc.de> wrote:

> >In the end, I went with grub2, and it has taken a lot of effort to get
> >not very far.  Grub's documentation is suboptimal.

> >The state I've managed to get to is that grub appears to have loaded my
> >kernel (it no longer gives an error message about it not being loaded),
> >but then hangs without the kernel outputting even a single message.  At
> >this point, only the reset-button will do anything - Ctrl-Alt-Del does
> >nothing.

> >Just for reference's sake, my boot setup is EFI on GPT.  I have two
> >NVMe
> >SSDs, which will be working together in several mdadm RAID pairs.  grub
> >can read my SSDs, reporting correctly their partitioning and being able
> >to cat the grub configuration file.

> >So, why, after apparently loading the kernel, does grub fail to start
> >it?
> >Any ideas, anybody?

> >Here are the relevant bits of my grub.cfg:

[ .... ]

> Have you tried connecting using ssh after boot?
> Also, do you have the EFI console support in your kernel?

I didn't, but do now.

More to the point, I'd forgotten to compile the pertinent Radeon
microcode into my kernel, so it's not surprising I saw nothing on my
screen.  What an idiot!

Now I see 16 penguins on my screen, followed by some messages, followed
by a kernel panic, since it can't find the root partition.  It's a long
time since I've been so happy to see a kernel panic.  ;-)

So thank you to everybody who somehow churned up my thinking enough to
get me over this point.

[ .... ]

> --
> Joost