Am Sun, 30 Apr 2017 10:33:05 -0700
schrieb Jorge Almeida <jjalme...@gmail.com>:

> > It allows portage to properly shut down remaining processes from
> > ebuild build phases by knowing exactly which processes have been
> > spawn in the compile phase, and it allows openrc to better manage
> > the processes and proper shut down any processes belonging to a
> > service.
>
> I understand that, in principle. In practice, sshd works fine without
> it, for example. And portage doesn't have a cgroups related USE
> variable. Doesn't mean I won't find a need for it, someday.

It does have such a FEATURE in make.conf and it's used to better manage
run-away processes from build phases.

> > Also you may benefit from setting resource limits and fair resource
> > sharing for a group of processes where ulimit applies only to single
> > processes and doesn't know about resource shares at all.
> >
> > Overall, it makes sense to have it.
>
> It makes sense that the kernel has it. Should it be enabled? For a
> server, probably. For a single-user workstation? Maybe.

Maybe I don't have the ordinary workstation, but I use it to limit
memory of sometimes-run-away services (memory-wise) and to control
resource usage of container machines I'm using during development.
Probably not the ordinary use-case...

--
Regards,
Kai