On 04/05/2017 09:36, Jorge Almeida wrote:
> On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 3:11 PM, Daniel Campbell <z...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>

>> cgroups are not being pushed in this case. Portage threw up a warning,
>> letting you know that some features of htop may not be available without
>> the CONFIG_CGROUPS flag on in the kernel. htop should work to your
>> liking as it is right now. Go try it out!
>
> The point is that a warning should be informative, not ominous. Maybe
> it comes from some kind of template, as Marc suggests...
> Gentoo users like to understand their systems, even those of us who
> are not developer-quality. Saying "enable this, otherwise you're
> WRONG, and we know what's best for you" is not helpful.
>>
>> I'm having a little trouble understanding why this particular package
>
> Because that's the package where I found this kind of message,
> otherwise there's nothing special about it.
>

>> I've not dabbled in cgroups but they seem very useful to those who need
>> to manage processes in ways the kernel itself can enforce. Cgroups
>> merely help htop do its job.
>> --
> Indeed, _to those who need_

Jorge,

OK. We get it. You don't like the message. However, no-one else seems to
think it's ominous, that you are being told you are WRONG, and that
someone else knows better for you.

Here's the message again, for reference:

 *   CONFIG_CGROUPS:     is not set when it should be.
 * Please check to make sure these options are set correctly.
 * Failure to do so may cause unexpected problems.

That's a template message, it contains "should" and "may", it does not
contain "must" and "will"

Continuing to emote here is going to accomplish exactly didly-squat and
I assure you that it is highly likely nothing will change at all.
Submitting a patch to gentoo-dev may accomplish the end you seek.

Now, can you please get over yourself so we can move on?
We get it, we really do. You don't like the message.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com