On Tuesday 09 May 2017 14:29:16 Walter Dnes wrote:

> It's a feature, not a bug. <G> There's a news item being worked on in
> the Gentoo dev list.  I'd normally just link to a mail archive, but it's
> too new to have been archived yet.  Here's a copy of the proposed news
> item.

(Quoting order changed.)

Sorry, Walter, but I just couldn't let this go. Reading it hurt too much.

English grammar has very few hard-and-fast rules, but one is absolutely
sacrosanct: every verb agrees in number with its subject. If I'd been guilty
of this at school I'd have earned myself a stiff rebuke:

> An indicator are linker errors ...

[...]

> [Additionally, following Gentoo policies, the default-off use-flags
> nopie (only present in Hardened) and nossp are replaced starting with
> gcc-6 by default-on use-flags pie and ssp.]

No; they are replaced, by the developers, with those flags.

> Be advised that switching from an older version to GCC 6 will ...

Those first three words are redundant; they add nothing.

>   ... relocation R_X86_64_32 against `.rodata.str1.1' can not be used
>   when...

"Can not" should be "cannot" (different meaning).

I did say this is all off-topic. Apologies to anyone who feels aggrieved. I
could have suggested several other improvements as well, so I could say I've
let you off lightly.  ;-)

(By way of explanation, 35 years ago I was made the documentation manager of
a 200-man-year software project. Ever since then I've been unable to read
anything at all without the eye of an editor - it's ruined my enjoyment of
everything I read. There's no hope any longer.)

--
Regards
Peter