On Monday 29 May 2017 21:42:28 Kai Krakow wrote:
> Am Mon, 29 May 2017 19:16:11 +0100
>
> schrieb Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk>:
> > On Mon, 29 May 2017 15:07:48 -0300, Raphael MD wrote:
[...]
> > > 3. boot-loader config
> > >
> > > Grub, without any different config.
> >
> > You said you were using rEFInd, why have you got GRUB as well. rEFInd
> > can work without a config, GRUB cannot.
>
> This puzzles me, too... Maybe rEFInd was installed to sda and grub
> installed to sda1, so rEFInd would chain-boot through grub.
>
> Grub, however, won't work without a config file. I'd also suggest to
> skip grub completely and use just one loader.

Not only that, but for some reason I couldn't get grub to work at all on my
Asus UEFI system. I use systemd-boot only, with a separate config file for
each kernel I might want to boot. (I do not have the rest of systemd in this
openrc system; just its boot program.)

It might not help the OP but this is my script for compiling a kernel:

# cat /usr/local/bin/kmake
#!/bin/bash
mount /boot
cd /usr/src/linux
time (make -j12 && make modules_install && make install &&\
        /bin/ls -lh --color=auto /boot &&\
        echo &&\
        cp -v ./arch/x86/boot/bzImage /boot/EFI/Boot/bootX64.efi
) &&\
echo; echo "Rebuilding modules..."; echo &&\
emerge --jobs --load-average=48 @module-rebuild @x11-module-rebuild

He may be missing the copying step; that would explain his inability either
to boot or to supply the info you asked him for.

--
Regards
Peter