On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 5:19 PM, John Blinka <john.bli...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hope someone can shed some light on continuing emerge failures for zfs
> since gnetoo-sources-4.4.39 and zfs-0.6.5.8.  I was able to install
> that version of zfs with that kernel last November on one of my
> machines, but have been unable to upgrade zfs since then, or to
> install it in any newer kernel, or even to re-install the same version
> on the same kernel.

I've been running various zfs+4.4.y versions without issue on a stable
amd64 config (using upstream kernels).

Currently I'm on 0.7.1+4.4.82.

> checking kernel source version... Not found
> configure: error: *** Cannot find UTS_RELEASE definition.

> Googling around for the "Cannot find UTS_RELEASE" complaint reveals
> that a few people have encountered this problem over the years.  It
> appeared in those cases to be attributable to the user running the
> configuration script not having sufficient authority to read
> ./include/generated/utsrelease.h in the kernel tree.

I suspect your sources have gotten messed up in some way.  I've run
into issues like this when I do something like build a kernel with an
odd umask so that the portage user can't read the files it needs to
build a module.  Your chmod should have fixed that but there could be
something else going on.  It might just be that you didn't prepare the
sources?

I actually do all my kernel builds in a tmpfs under /var/tmp these
days which keeps my /usr/src/linux pristine.  (make O=/var/tmp/linux
modules_install and so on)  It does involve more building during
upgrades but I know everything is clean, and I prefer no-issues to
faster-builds.

In theory that isn't essential, but I would definitely just wipe out
/usr/src/linux and unpack clean kernel sources.  If you're using the
gentoo-sources package you can just rm -rf the symlink and the actual
tree, and just re-emerge the package and it will set up both.  If
you're using git then I'd probably wipe it and re-pull as I'm not sure
if a clean/reset will actually take care of all the permissions.

Then you need to run at least make oldconfig and make modules_prepare
before you can build a module against it.  Doing a full kernel build
is also fine.

--
Rich