On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 7:14 PM, John Blinka <john.bli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 6:51 PM, Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, and in fact it is in the output when emerge fails:
>>  /var/tmp/portage/sys-kernel/spl-0.7.1/work/spl-0.7.1/config.log

Digging into config.log after a hiatus to attend to other demands of
life.  Comparing config.log output to the code in the corresponding
"configure" script was a little enlightening - at least it was clear
what the configure script was trying to do when it failed.   In
anticipation of throwing some echo statements into a modified script
to help debug further, I tried to see if the configure script could be
invoked using the command line arguments documented in config.log.  To
my surprise, when invoking configure that way, the script proceeded to
completion without any problems.  There's a clue.  Executing on the
command line as user root and group root leads to success, and
executing through portage as portage:portage (judging from the
ownership of files in
/var/tmp/portage/sys-kernel/spl-0.7.1/work/spl-0.7.1) leads to
failure.

Thanks for the hint. back to debugging.

John