I started a plasma session and after some period of input inactivity I noticed
the screen blanked out.  Later on I moved the mouse and to my surprise I
obtained this message:
*********************
"The screen locker is broken and unlocking is not possible anymore.
In order to unlock switch to a virtual terminal (e.g. Ctrl+Alt+F2),
log in and execute the command:

loginctl unlock-sessions

Afterwards switch back to the running session (Ctrl+Alt+F7)."

Given this is a non-systemd Gentoo installation and I intend to keep it this
way as long as reasonably practicable, what should I instruct the user to do
to recover their current plasma session?

If this is a default Gentoo installation with openrc, why does a default
plasma desktop screenlocker comes up with this nonsense?

--
Regards,
Mick