On Monday, 11 September 2017 19:27:02 BST Jigme Datse Yli-RAsku wrote:
> I had a similar (if not identical problem).  This solution is a
> "difficult" solution, the reason I experienced this (if I understand)
> was that I was running KDE at the same time I was updating KDE.

No the user started a Plasma session after booting up the PC and while no
updates were being performed.

> I can't
> remember if I simply rebooted, or if all it took was logging out, and
> logging back in.  Even if I had rebooted, the *most* that should be
> required is restarting X, which if you are running XDM may require
> restarting XDM, or as stated, simply logging out and logging back in
> (but that might not be possible from KDE running in this broken mode).
> It should happen relatively infrequently.

I can login and restart xdm, but I fear the user may lose some the work being
performed at the time.  I may end up doing this, but not if there is a way to
recover the session.  Strangely, I can't see any relevant screenlock process I
could stop from the console.  :-(
--
Regards,
Mick