On 2017-12-09 12:00, Jorge Almeida wrote:

> Are you sure you need udisks? And policykit? I'm guessing you have
> some default USE variables which if removed would contribute to a
> cleaner system. I just checked the documentation about udisks in the
> freedesktop site. I didn't manage to understand why it would be useful
> (my fault, probably) but I understood enough to decide I wouldn't want
> such stuff in my system.

AFAIK there are 2 main reasons for udisks:

1. automounting everything that moves, and even things that do not move.
   By automounting I mean fully automatic mounting, ie. without any
   click or other user action.  Leaving aside the desirability of this,
   it can be mostly replaced by a set of udev rules, even though udev
   authors frown of such usage.

2. tracking media availability of optical drives, which maddeningly do
   not provide any interrupt-driven way to do that.  In spite of my
   advancing age I can still remember when I insert a disc into my
   drive, so if I don't need 1. above I don't need this either.

Ergo, I avoid udisks.