mad.scientist.at.large (a good madscientist)
--

11. Dec 2017 05:39 by michaelkintz...@gmail.com:

> On Monday, 11 December 2017 11:59:03 GMT Jorge Almeida wrote:
>> On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 7:31 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <>> can...@gmail.com>>
>> >
> wrote:
>
>> > Just my two cents. I will not answer any reply to my little contribution
>> > this thread;
>>
>> Good. I can't remember any intervention from you that I would miss. Of
>> course, I wouldn't dream of telling people how they should think, nor
>> would I deny anyone the right to be an activist.
>>
>> > Enjoy your echo chamber.
>>
>> Thank you for your contribution, Dr. Yes, we know you're a Dr. We know
>> it because:
>
> Crikey!  I didn't expect my question to trigger yet another thread of
> 'systemd
> Vs freedom of choice (non-systemd)' arguments.  Dr. Canek has been an
> advocate
> of systemd for years now and has posted his views on this topic more than
> once.  He has tried hard to make gentoo users see the light in the
> superiority
> of systemd and put his arguments across.  He has also done a lot of
> development work to establish systemd in Gentoo.  His views are somewhat
> parochial - only those who (can) code have an influence if not a right to
> determine the direction of travel - I paraphrase of course.  There is truth
> in
> this and anyone can recognise that money can buy developer hours and direct
> their development effort.
>
> The facts remain that RHL and their employees have shaped the Linux
> eco-system
> to suit their business interests;  spinning predictably and reliably
> thousands
> of identical VMs in data centres.  The MSWindows monolithic stack
> architecture
> is something they wanted/needed and this is what they developed.
>
> <snip>
> Just my 2c's.
> --
> Regards,
> Mick

interestingly, RH (and Centos) have both dumped systemd and gone to another
system (I don't remember which one).  In fact they've done so retroactively on
earlier versions.  Of course the continuing take over of linux by commercial
interest is distorting development goals (time spent trying to
destandardize/create new standards, make it harder to install and maintain, and
new tools they don't have to give away).

It's really sad that people accepted an open source license and built a
business for decades, and now   are now doing their best to keep free users
out, way out of the loop (to the extent they can without technically violated
the license).  It's really sad because these companies are all making good
money (which is fine) but like many of the rich (not all) they want more $$ and
are willing to be rather dishonorable about it.  It's a bad time for linux in
many ways.  Personally, like Linus himself, I'm looking for the next free os.

Do to it's long history and many, many donated hours,  design by  groups, and
resulting complexity it's very hard to fix some of the incorrect/suboptimal
decisions that are deep down, and most developers want to work on something new
(not old and complicated like securing X).  Don't get me wrong, I love linux,
but I'll also be learning bsd and looking for such a project.  Operating
systems are big clumsy beast that require an incredible amount of work to
realize and then maintain, but some are still willing to do such work for
free/fun (I hope to know enough to help in a couple of years, I'm good at
programing but i'll need to do better/more correct work consistent with good
style and design and learn a lot about real/ideal operating systems and the
inevitable trade offs).

Then there are the promoters of questionable tech/implementations, many as
dishonest and childish as some of our politicians, and like many politicians
it's become more of a sales game, with people making up data, lying, and
generally disrespecting their' users.  A strategy that can work for awhile,
until they've converted their' good reputation into a fast buck (most of the
big companies are doing it, triplite for example, once commercial grade and
well respected, but now sellers of sub-consumer grade gear).

And for embeded applications systemd is nothing but a liability, forcing dev
tools and a server onto a router etc. just opens up new vulnerabilities for
basicly nothing (other than a graphical interface server that very limited).
The main thing i love about linux is choice, you can use the cool edgy stuff
that's still buggy or the more stable or both depending on your' mood and goal.
 Your mileage will vary.