On 08/02/18 23:57, Rich Freeman wrote:
On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 4:52 PM, gevisz <gev...@gmail.com> wrote:

However, it probably won't be sooner than
# emerge --update --deep --with-bdeps=y --newuse --backtrack=90 --ask
world --exclude chromium
fails because of the "--exclude chromium" part :), as I have already compiled
the recent vertion of chromium with /var/tmp/portage on the hard disk and
it took more than 24 hours on my old AMD Athlon X2 with j2 option. :(

Honestly I doubt that tmpfs will make much difference since this is
probably CPU-bound.

The lack of disk I/O improves the desktop while using it. Build times get slightly lower, but as you said, not enough as to be the main use. It's really about avoiding disk I/O. Another benefit is reducing fragmentation on the disk.