On Sat, Feb 17 2018, John Blinka wrote:

> Hi, all,
>
> A recent update demanded that I rebuild webkit-gtk-2.4.11-r200.
> Unfortunately I cannot get this package to rebuild.
>
> In my experience, this particular version of webkit-gtk has always
> been a very fragile build.  I've put way too much time into wrestling
> with it and I'd like to get rid of it.  There's a newer version:
> webkit-gtk-2.18.6, which builds with no problems.
>
> The only package on my system that needs webkit-gtk is gnucash.   All
> of the stable ebuilds for gnucash contain this line
> >=net-libs/webkit-gtk-1.2:2
> And all of the versions of webkit-gtk in portage satisfy this condition.

I am in the same situation and I believe a number of other are as well.
The old webkit-gtk is approaching end-of-life and the new gnucash that
uses the new webkit-gtk is (they say) soon to become gentoo stable.

NOTE.  The new gnucash uses a new database format so you should back up
your old database before updating gnucash (see the news item).

I am waiting for the new gnucash to become stable (and will probably
wait a little more).  I back up the gnucash database daily.  I would be
quite put out if gnucash was unavailable for even a modest time period.

What I do in the meantime is

   emerge --update --pretend @world

and then manually

   emerge -1 all packages mentioned except webkit-gtk

I do a similar procedure for

   emerge @preserved rebuild

allan