On Saturday, June 9, 2018 6:42:56 AM CEST Ian Zimmerman wrote:
> Is there _any_ way around the need to keep the user IDs matched on NFS
> clients and servers?

Not to my knowledge.
I use OpenLDAP for my users and groups and this has worked perfectly ever
since I implemented it.

> Or, is there any other remote filesystem (other than the one originally
> made by Microsoft) that avoids that chore?

I am only familiar with CIFS/SMB and NFS. Not sure if any other shared
filesystems handle this. A minimum requirement would be that you need to login
to the fileserver using a username and password.

> This is the main reason I have mostly stayed away from NFS all these
> years.  Recently sshfs has been a good enough substitute, but now it's
> proving not reliable enough for long term connections.

I found NFS to be stable for long term (months) connections. When working from
mobile machines (Laptops), I use SMB/CIFS to access the same files.

--
Joost