On 11/06/18 09:54, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> Wol's lists <antli...@youngman.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 09/06/18 18:09, Rich Freeman wrote:
>>> downsides as well, in particular it is certainly more complex and at
>>> work we practically forbid any kind of windows ACLs at anything other
>>> than the top mount level because it is so hard to control.
>>
>> Windows is better than POSIX?! That doesn't say much for POSIX then,
>> seeing as I feel Windows ACLs are overly complex and difficult!
>
> Well, "Windows ACLs" is the only ACL system that is standardized (as part of
> the NFSv4 standard). The old proposal in POSIX.1e from 1993 from Sun has been
> withdrawn in 1997 since the customers did not like it.

Ummm - just because it's standard doesn't mean it's any good :-)

This version I'm talking about dates from about 1983. The company making
it went bust in 1991.

I've just had a quick look at the NFS v4 RFC, and almost the first thing
I see is DENY entries. These ACLs don't have deny, because it's
pointless. And DENY is exactly why I think Posix/Windows ACLs are
confusing and hard to use.

Cheers,
Wol