Wols Lists <antli...@youngman.org.uk> wrote:

> On 11/06/18 09:54, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> > Well, "Windows ACLs" is the only ACL system that is standardized (as part
> > of
> > the NFSv4 standard). The old proposal in POSIX.1e from 1993 from Sun has
> > been
> > withdrawn in 1997 since the customers did not like it.
> >
> Ummm - just because it's standard doesn't mean it's any good :-)

Is is a result of a common discussion. At the same time, when Sun introduced
NFSv4 ACLs, IBM and Apple did the same for their local filesystems.

> This version I'm talking about dates from about 1983. The company making
> it went bust in 1991.

What are you talking about?

IIRC, the first ACLs have been on VMS in the late 1980s.

> I've just had a quick look at the NFS v4 RFC, and almost the first thing
> I see is DENY entries. These ACLs don't have deny, because it's
> pointless. And DENY is exactly why I think Posix/Windows ACLs are
> confusing and hard to use.

Your text looks confusing. You claim DENY entries and no DENY entries in the
same paragraph without explaining what you are talking about.

Jörg

--
 EMail:jo...@schily.net                    (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
    joerg.schill...@fokus.fraunhofer.de (work) Blog: http://schily.blogspot.com/