Got sidetracked - turns out fuse and exfat on usb do not play well with
mounts as a user due to changes late last year.  It can now only be
mounted/unmounted by root.

The second part (also due to fuse) is that to stop fuse (silently as ls
still showed the execute bit set) from interfering with execution of
files on the mounted device) it must be mounted as the user under a user
owned directory such as /home/user (mount cannot deal with this - it did
in the past, but something has changed).  So the solution is to mount
via root as the user you want (via sudo) under a mount point in the
users home.  This may all be unique to fuse-exfat, and which versions of
everything involved as I saw one email on the mechanics of the changes
saying fat is handled a little differently due to a different use
scenario.  And ext2/3/4 etc don't have the problem at all.  Auto-mount
on device plugin still doesn't happen so thats next on my list.

/etc/fstab:

/dev/sda1               /home/myuser/mnt           auto
rw,auto,exec,uid=1000,gid=1000,users,user=myuser                   0 0

BillK