On 6/6/19 10:50 AM, Jack wrote:
I've been going through this lately also (mainly due to forgetting -1 on updates) and put together  a script, which I can post later if anyone wants.  However, the bottom line for me is to do "emerge -pc package" for each package in world to see what (if anything) else pulled it in. If it was pulled in by something else, I remove it from the world file, unless I explicitly want it installed.    The script just does most of that, producing a file that makes it easier for me to see what -pc would remove and what is actually installed.

Interesting concept and methodology.  I'll have to pontificate that.

Currently my world file is 292 lines, with 1863 packages installed (from "eix-installed -a".)

ACK

I'm not going to even try regenworld, as I'm in the midst of converting to the 17.1 profile, and have quite a number of packages that don't yet seem to cope with that change well.

Fair.

I'm not thinking about the 17.0 to 17.1 migration yet.

I'm wondering what, if anything I need to do to clean up gcc:

% gcc-config -l
 [1] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-6.4.0 *
 [2] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-8.2.0
 [3] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-8.3.0

I seem to remember going from older /to/ 6.4 being a bit touchy.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die