On Wed, 19 Jun 2019 17:16:21 -0700, Daniel Frey wrote:

> I was thinking about this for a bit, and thought that maybe adding the
> slot to the package in /var/lib/portage/world would work.

Every release has a separate slot, so this would never offer updates, no
matter how minor. However, you may find emerge world wanting to downgrade
if your chosen versions are no longer in the tree.

> So, using `emerge --select` and `emerge --deselect` I set up my world
> file this way:
>
> # grep -i gentoo-sources /var/lib/portage/world
> sys-kernel/gentoo-sources:4.14.105-r1
> sys-kernel/gentoo-sources:4.14.114
> sys-kernel/gentoo-sources:4.14.83
>
> I removed all other kernel packages manually so only those three are
> installed.
>
> However, portage still wants to install the latest gentoo-sources, even
> though the generic "sys-kernel/gentoo-sources" is absent from the world
> file.

Do you have anything depending on virtual/linux-sources? That pulls in
gentoo-sources with no version limits.

--
Neil Bothwick

Hm..what's this red button fo|'\xBB.'NO CARRIER